xsl:eval & value-of , and transform- vs display-time scripts

Subject: xsl:eval & value-of , and transform- vs display-time scripts
From: Tom Yamada <tyamada@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 18:14:04 -0800
Am I correct in my understanding that xsl:value-of may not be used to pass
node values to a function (returning a string) run by xsl:eval?  If not,
what is the recommended means for doing this?

For me right now, that question is out of curiousity as to be more specific
to my current need, eval is probably not the correct tool.  What I _really_
want to do right now is to run a function defined in the processor-calling
HTML to insert a string in the displayed HTML, based on the node values
selected through the MSXML processor.  I am assuming that I will have to
write code into the output flow to emit the values into span-regions during
onload, but would appreciate any links to examples of this or a more
elegant technique from anyone on the list. I will have zero or more of
these to define, so defining multiple id'd spans and generating the
corresponding onload code seem kind of daunting to this relative XSL
newbie.

Many TIA for any assistance.

:Tom