Re: Templates aplied to namespaces

Subject: Re: Templates aplied to namespaces
From: John Robert Gardner <jrgardn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 17:15:48 -0500 (EST)
I'm quite sure I'm wading in over my head, so the following may not be
relevant.  If it's not, at least the reason for it not being relevant will
hopefully prove educational:

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Mark D. Anderson wrote:

> in this case, it'd be something like this:
> <xsl:stylesheet
> 		version="1.0"
> 		xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
>         xmlns:whatever="http://www.somewhere.com/mynamespace";
>         exclude-result-prefixes="whatever"
> >
> <xsl:template match="//whatever:title">
>
> xsl has no way to separately specify a default input and output
> namespace, which is a bit of a pain. so if your result namespace
> is not also "whatever", you end up having to have explicit
> prefixes for all your select expressions, as shown above.

Am I misinterpreting the relevance of

<xsl:namespace-alias>

for translating teh stylesheet use of a given
namespace, in turn then to translate teh stylesheet use of a given
namespace--"whatever:"-- into another in the result tree node tree per the
distinction of

stylesheet-prefix="http://www.somewhere.com/mynamespace";

for the stylesheet, and

result-prefix="http://www.somewhere_else.com/theirnamespace";

for the result's URI, per instruction?

Anyway, hopefully this is not a straw-man reply, as it comes out of
ongoing gratitude for the many versions of help I've had here.

jr