Re: Using XSL to include non-XML data?

Subject: Re: Using XSL to include non-XML data?
From: Steve Tinney <stinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 20:09:13 -0500
Depending on the amount of data, and Xalan's support for Java
extensions, there are other ways of doing this that you might
consider.

One is to follow John Smirl's example from earlier today in which
he shows how to use a Java extension to insert a running total in
a document; your problem is structurally similar.

The other is to consider turning your Java application's matter
into an XML file which could be included in the XSL script using
the document() function.  This might be impractical if you are
dealing with many thousands of entries---you'd probably have to test it
to find out.  Basically, document() takes a URI which means that you can
'open' a servlet or CGI script which will return the XML.  If you can
train your Java app to write XML, or wrap its output, you'd be able
to index into it easily.

 Steve