Re: removing duplicates problem (solved)

Subject: Re: removing duplicates problem (solved)
From: Jeremy Quinn <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 13:59:42 +0000
On 29/12/99 at 2:30 am, I wrote:

>Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 20:29:53 +0000
>From: Jeremy Quinn <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: removing duplicates problem
>
>I am in the situation of wanting to create a node-set of all the
>    <person idref="Smith"/> and <author idref="Jones"/> tags with unique idref
>attributes. The tags can be found almost anywhere in the document.

I solved the problem ... and am posting it here in case it helps anyone else ...

First I simplified the problem by converting:

    <author idref="name"/> to

to reduce the number of different things I was looking for.

The following XSL now works ....

<xsl:template name="people">
    <xsl:variable
        name="unique"
        select="//person[not(./@idref=following::person/@idref)]"
        />
    <xsl:for-each select="$unique">
        <xsl:variable name="pid" select="@idref"/>
        <xsl:for-each select="document('../xml/data/people.xml')">
            <xsl:apply-templates select="id($pid)"/>
        </xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

It gives me a list of <people> with no duplicates, in document order, then looks them up in the "people.xml" file.

Result!

If anyone has any suggestions about how to optimise this, I'd be glad to hear.
I'm sure there's a way to only call document() once ....

thanks Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <mailto:jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>     <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>