RE: sorting and parameters

Subject: RE: sorting and parameters
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:51:20 -0000
>How do I pass a sort key to a stylesheet?
>
> Here's my stylesheet --
>
>                 <xsl:apply-templates select="item">
>                         <xsl:sort select="{$key}"
>
> Using Saxon, I get the error "Invalid character ({) in
> expression {$key}".
> I think the syntax is right because I have no problem with
> the sortorder parameter.

The order parameter is an attribute value template but the select attribute
(like all other attributes whose value is an expression) isn't. You can't
use the "{}" notation except in an attribute that's explicitly an AVT.

There's no direct way of achieving what you want in XSLT. The only ways to
do it are (a) to generate a stylesheet on the fly and execute that, or (b)
to write an extension function.

Mike Kay