RE: Getting text out of mixed content

Subject: RE: Getting text out of mixed content
From: "Carl Soane" <csoane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:55:37 -0800
try this:

<xsl:template match="para">
		<xsl:copy-of select="*|text()"/>
</xsl:template>

-----Original Message-----
From:	owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [SMTP:owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of sara.mitchell@xxxxxxxxx
Sent:	Monday, January 17, 2000 1:20 PM
To:	xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:	Getting text out of mixed content
Sensitivity:	Private

My apologies up front -- I know this issue has been discussed
but my searches in the XSL archives haven't succeeded and, as
someone else recently posted, I swallowed a dumb pill today.

I'm struggling to extract only the text out of a paragraph
which allows mixed content. There may be several levels of
descendant elements. With a first para such as:

can use to start the process. </para>

All I get in the output is:

This is the beginning of Field A

The template I'm using so far does find the first text children
and the text inside the first element node, but it stops there.
I'm obviously missing something fundamental and am hoping that
someone can point out my errors.

The template I'm using now is:

<xsl:template match="para[1]">
<xsl:for-each select="descendant-or-self::*>
 <xsl:value-of select="text()"/>
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

I'm using LotusXSL (0.18.2) as my XSL processor.

Sara