XML parsers and entity references (was RE: Using Entity Reference s in XSL Templates)

Subject: XML parsers and entity references (was RE: Using Entity Reference s in XSL Templates)
From: Mike Brown <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:03:34 -0700
David Carlisle wrote:
> No, it never sees the reference, the XML parser it uses to read the
> stylesheet will have expanded it before the XSL system gets the sheet.
> That is what XML parsers are supposed to do.

I'm not that familiar with what parsers do, but I was under the impression
that a SAX based parser simply reports in a consistent manner "hey I found
the beginning of an element 'foo'" and "hey I found an entity reference
'nbsp' which refers to the UCS character 160" and so on, and it was up to
the application using that information to decide whether or not to preserve
info about the entity references or their expanded values. That way you
could parse an XML document into a DOM tree that contains entity reference
nodes. Not that that would be of any use in the XPath/XSLT world. Am I
wrong?