Re: Saxon html includes unwanted white space in anchor tag

Subject: Re: Saxon html includes unwanted white space in anchor tag
From: Steve Tinney <stinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 08:27:46 -0500
I would be sorry to see the ability to indent html disappear completely.
It doesn't matter so much for working code, but when debugging or
developing it's very useful to be able to read the output easily.

I think that determining indentation on a tag-by-tag basis would be one
useful way of handling this, and doesn't involve too much additional
overhead.  A new attribute on xsl:output, indent-elements, might be
worth considering for the next XSL, and could be pioneered in Saxon.

Another way of handling this would be to have a nonstandard attribute
value on 'indent': no|yes|force.  You could make 'yes' a null-op, and
keep the existing behaviour with 'force' (or 'debug').

The other possibility, which David Carlisle mentioned, is to follow the
newline-before-angle-bracket format.  This is better than no
indentation, but not as clear as the existing Saxon indentation.

While we're at it, I would like to have a 2-space-per-level indentation,
rather than 4, but now I'm probably pushing my luck...

 Steve