RE: Hyphens in XSLT element names

Subject: RE: Hyphens in XSLT element names
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 09:15:08 -0500
At 10:03 AM 2/3/2000 +0000, Kay Michael wrote:
> So, I was hoping one of the XSLT
> authors/contributors could tell me why they chose to use hyphens in
> their element names?

I expect their first programming language was COBOL and they were feeling
nostalgic.

Heh.

Actually, I'd figured it was a holdover from the XSL-shall-be-compatible-with-CSS rule -- since CSS properties are hyphenated. Even though XSL*T* in theory needn't be compatible with CSS (unlike FOs, where I guess it's more of an issue), presumably they wanted the transformational side's element naming convention to be consistent with the FO side.

Interesting question, though.

John E. Simpson
simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx