Testing the number of child elements

Subject: Testing the number of child elements
From: Emmanuel Pietriga <emmanuel.pietriga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:51:31 +0100
Hi.

Here's my problem: I want to test if the current node (plus) has one
child or more   (I don't output the same thing if it has one child
element or more than one). And I want to do this for all elements "plus"
of "apply" using a for-each.
I am saying that current node is (plus) because I think it is true when
we are in the for-each loop. Am I right? That is, does current()
actually returns the "plus" element?

Here is what I do, but it doesn't work  (XT always chooses the
"otherwise" solution)

<xsl:template match="apply[plus]">
  <xsl:for-each select="child::*[position()!=last() and
position()!=1]">
    <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="count(current()/child::*)=1">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="."/><mo>+</mo>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

The XML source is:
<apply>
  <eq/>
  <apply>
    <plus/>
    <apply>
      <power/>
      <ci>x</ci>
      <cn>2</cn>
    </apply>
    <apply>
      <times/>
      <cn>4</cn>
      <ci>x</ci>
    </apply>
    <cn>4</cn>
  </apply>
  <cn>0</cn>
</apply>

Emmanuel.

By the way, I have another little question: I've included a DOCTYPE in
my stylesheet because I define entity references in it.
One of these entities is InvisibleTimes.  I know its unicode is E89E
So I've written <ENTITY InvisibleTimes "&#E89E;">, but XT tells me
"character not allowed"
What can I Do?

Thanks.

--
emmanuel.pietriga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx               |  Xerox Research Centre Europe
Document Model and Transformation Technologies |  6, Chemin de Maupertuis