document function

Subject: document function
From: "Beckers, Marc" <Marc.Beckers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:17:22 +0100
Hello XSLers,
my question is this:
How can I use XSL, the document() function and XT's xt:document extension
to overwrite XHTML pages structured in
directories and subdirectories with copies of themselves?

I have got this far:

1. I have a script that I point at a directory. It runs
through all the subdirectories and writes me a list of files
in an XML "mother" document, for example:

<mother>
  <file>files\overview.htm</file>
  <file>files\book1\page1.htm</file>
  <file>files\book1\chap1\page2.htm</file>
</mother>

2. In the XSL stylesheet I run against the above XML file using XT,
I can enter each *.htm as follows:

<xsl:template match="mother">
  <xsl:for-each select="file">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="document(.)"/>
  </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

3. I can now handle the contents of these files with templates
(actually I want to filter content out of the files and copy
the result back to where the original file was):

  <xsl:template match="*">
    <xsl:call-template name="filter"/>
  </xsl:template>

4. Now I wish to create my output tree (as HTML files):

<xsl:template match="html">
  <xt:document method="html" href="(each html instance becomes an HTML file
at the
   location indicated by the corresponding file element in the "mother"
document) ">
         <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </xt:document>
 </xsl:template>

How can I recreate my original file structure as reported in the
XML mother document with the filtered copies?

Grateful for any hints,
Dr. Marc Beckers
Documentation Consultant
Software AG