Re: bulgarian/cyrilic

Subject: Re: bulgarian/cyrilic
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 01:36:43 +0300
> Does anyone know the encoding I need to use Bulgarian or Cyrilic
>characters in my xml/xsl? I tried encoding="UTF-8" but it spit the dummy.

It depends mostly on whether the appropriate fonts are installed on
your machine. IE4-5 under Win95/NT works fine with UTF-8
if you have the appropriate charset (204) in your fonts; normally,
Times New Roman, Arial, and Courier New contain the charset 204,
and all other do not. In the same environment, you may also try
windows-1251 as the charset name.

If you are under Unix, try either koi8-r (sometimes spelled as koi8r,
without dash) or iso-8859-5; chances are that you have at least
one of the two.

Another problem is whether your XSLT processor is able to handle
any of these. I admire XT but it still lacks support for anything but
UTF-8 in the output; SAXON is much more foreigner-friendly ;-).

Please note that UTF-8/Unicode, windows-1251, koi8-r and iso-8859-5
are all mutually incompatible. If you were about to publish Cyrillic
texts in Russian over the Internet, I would recommend using koi8-r.
Bulgarian uses the same repertory of glyphs, but I don't know which
is the preferred charset; they could also have a fifth version ;-).

Regards,
Nikolai