Re: Entities

Subject: Re: Entities
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 19:09:18 GMT
> XSLT is XML, so you get the XML entities for free.  to
> generate an entity reference in yr output doc, do
>
>   &amp;amp;
>   &amp;nbsp;

er no. That'll generate  &amp;amp; and  &amp;nbsp; unless you turn on
disable-output-encoding (not normally a good idea)

>  i need to
> pass through &nbsp; (and other entity references)
> unmodified, but i'm having problems.

There is _no_ way to do that. It is possible to have an output type
(eg th ehtml one) that outputs character 160 as &nbsp; but it will
do that however the character was entered, as character data, as an
entity reference, or as a numeric character reference. The XML parser
will have normalised all these to character data _before_ XSL even gets
started. (This is discussed at some length in the faq I believe)

David