Some questions...

Subject: Some questions...
From: Omar López Ruiz <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 17:10:13 +0100
    Hi all,

    I have some conceptual questions about some issues of XML/XSL-T,
please I'd be very grateful if anyone can answer them.

    1.- What about the output of the XSL Transformation? The ouput could
be an .rtf or .biff file with binary data and not well-formed docoument?
I mean, I want to transform some XML data in a Word document (or
something that MSWord could understand) it's that possible?, or I have
to use formatting objects and some kind of parser?

    2.- Imagine the ouput of an SQL query with a 'group by' sentence,
and maybe, with total fileds for each group of rows. For each group, I
don't want to repeat the fileds with the same values (the fields that
define the group). Can XSL-T do something like that?:
        a) To control when some values changing and
        b) Do the totals of some fields, the totals for each group of
rows.

        Should be <xsl:variable> the solution in order to do something
like that?

    3.- Imagine I have some data, from the DB via JDBC, in some Java
Classes, in my own object model (with this data stored in). And I want
to serialize this data, or a subset of it, in an XML document. Can I use
a SAX parser?, or have I to do it myself. I mean, Can I pass my object
model to the SAX parser?

    Sorry if some are silly or very basic questions, I'm defining my
carreer final project and I want to use the XML-JAVA-SQL technology in
the best way.

    Thanks a lot, any inputs will be wellcome.

    Omar Lopez.