Re: using HTML editors with XSL

Subject: Re: using HTML editors with XSL
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 09:02:44 -0500
At 10:13 AM 3/1/2000 +0200, Aleksandrs Jakovlevs wrote:
2. Wait for special HTML/XSL editors that will be able to restore HTML
structure from the XSL and edit HTML template in WYSIWYG mode. (When such
an editor could appear?)
3. Find out some other technology (not XSL) that is more applicable for the
described scenario. (Does anyone know such a technology?)

I'm not 100% sure I understand what your proposed editor would do, but I wonder if you've looked at Excelon's Stylus? (http://www.objectdesign.com/products/excelon_stylus.html) I haven't used it extensively but it's a very interesting product. Three panes: one for the XML source, one for the XSLT source, and one (read-only) displaying the XML source as rendered into HTML using the XSLT. They've got their own "fully-compliant" XSLT processor built in, or you can use the old XSL processor that comes with IE5 (although why you'd want to, I can't imagine). As I understand it, the display pane is IE5 (which is bundled with the editor) -- it displays the HTML result tree from whichever processor you've chosen.

A 30-day evaluation version can be downloaded. Purchase price is $199. Specs say that it's for NT or Win2000 only, but I ran it on my creaking Win95 machine without hitches.

[Disclaimer: I have no connection with the product or the company other than as someone who once downloaded the product and tried it out.]