Re: doctype decl problem

Subject: Re: doctype decl problem
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 12:09:22 GMT
> an xml decl can have a public identifier,

no, because

<?xml version = "1.0" ?>

that is the xml declaration, not this

<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 03December 1999//EN" SYSTEM
"http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/SVG-19991203.dtd";>

Tha doctype declaration would be legal if you delete SYSTEM  (PUBLIC is
just followed by two strings the pubid and the sysid)

> However... when I remove the doctype line,
> my templates trigger quite happily.

Most likely the dtd is using an ATTLIST default to supply the namespace
declaration for SVG, so when you have the dtd your source document is
SVG

but when you do

<?xml version = "1.0" ?>

<svg x="0" y="0" width="2523.895996" height="667.296005">

it is just some random unknown element in the null namespace that
happens to be called `svg'

David