Re: Future XSLT expansion.

Subject: Re: Future XSLT expansion.
From: "Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 13:22:39 -0500
Am I experiencing a side effect of this discussion?

I would like to do this:

<xsl:variable name="foo">
    <mytag>
        data
    </mytag>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:apply-templates select="$foo"/>

This gives me a "cannot convert to node-set error" with XT.
It was my understanding that this was in XSLT to prevent
feedback from the resultset back into the input of the pattern
matches.

Instead I use:

<mydata>
    <mytag>
        data
    </mytag>
</mydata>

<xsl:apply-templates select="document('')/mydata"/>

The downside to this is it causes my source XSL stylesheet to
be parsed twice since XML and XSLT have different white
space rules.

BTW - the Release 3 of the Microsoft XML dll allows the
first case so it is in disagreement with JClark's XT.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx