Re: efficient filtering of XML files.

Subject: Re: efficient filtering of XML files.
From: crism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Christopher R. Maden)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 03:01:19 -0700
[David Carlisle]
>> you'll see that it's well-formed,
>
>well formed????????

Sadly, yes.

><xml>
>XML names may not start with xml

This is a validity violation, but not a well-formedness violation.

><![endif]
>
>this is just a parse error, I can guess what it means because I can
>read `endif' as English. I can't guess what it is doing in a file that
>looks vaguely like it was intended to be XML.

It's inside a comment.  It's a processing instruction, really; why MS
didn't use the syntax defined for PIs, I don't know.

><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
>this is (presumably relevant) data inside a comment which is legal
>but strange.
>
>> At the risk of sounding like a Microsoft apologist, it was done rather
>> well
>
>It's the fact that Microsoft systems produce this kind of rubbish that
>makes many people suspicious of Microsoft's actions and intentions in
>the XML (and other) areas.

I'm a little surprised that this surprises you, David.  These are the "XML
data islands" that they've been going on about for well over a year.

I don't like them very much, but given a (perceived) need to be able to
Save As HTML and still be able to open the file again in Word and have it
look the same, there are many far worse things they could have done.

-Chris

--
Christopher R. Maden, Solutions Architect
Yomu