Generic XSL file to handle any query

Subject: Generic XSL file to handle any query
From: Gagan Kanwar <gagan_kanwar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 6 Apr 2000 15:03:12 -0700
Hello,

I am an XSL novice so please excuse me if this question doesn't make sense.

I have to transform queries into HTML going the XML\XSL route. The query gets represented by an XML file. The structure of this XML file is constant for now (i.e. same DTD). I can programmatically generate an XSL file that will display that XML file as a nice HTML table. So far so good.

Is there a way that I can make just one generic XSL file that could take any XML query(assuming that they all have the same DTD) and transform that into the corresponding HTML document.

My XML file is:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<QUERY>
	<QUERY_DATA>
		<SITE_ID>1</SITE_ID>
		<DOMAIN>DOMAIN_A</DOMAIN>
		<PREFIX>IL_</PREFIX>
	</QUERY_DATA>
</QUERY>

My XSL file is:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="/">
	<head>
		<title>Query Results</title>
	</head>
	        <xsl:apply-templates select="QUERY"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="QUERY">
        <h1>Query Results</h1>
	        <th>SITE_ID</th>
	        <th>DOMAIN</th>
		<th>PREFIX</th>
	<xsl:apply-templates select="QUERY_DATA"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="QUERY_DATA">
	        <xsl:value-of select="SITE_ID"/>
	        <xsl:value-of select="DOMAIN"/>
		<xsl:value-of select="PREFIX"/>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

In this case, each XSL file has to be customized for each XML file because element names from the XML could be different for each query. How could I write a more abstract XSL file that doesn't need to know the element names in the XML file that it transforms?

If you have made it here then I want to thank you for your perseverence.

Gagan