Re: Java API for XSLT

Subject: Re: Java API for XSLT
From: "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_Boag@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:36:49 -0400
Kyle, I have been working with some other vendors (mainly Oracle and Mike
Kay, and I am the developer of Xalan on xml.apache.org) on something called
TRaX (Transformations for XML).  It would be good if we could get together
and combine ideas.  We've been having troubles getting TRaX posted
somewhere because of various problems with standardization implications,
and Oasis owns the org.xml domain.

-scott

                    Kyle Downey
                    <kyle.downey@amberarc        To:     xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    her.com>                     cc:     info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)
                    Sent by:                     Subject:     Re: Java API for XSLT
                    owner-xsl-list@mulber
                    rytech.com

                    04/14/2000 04:59 PM
                    Please respond to
                    xsl-list

Amber Archer Consulting is very close to releasing OpenLib/J, a GNU class
library meant for J2EE and XML developers. It includes a package,
org.xml.sax.transform, called SAX/T, modeled very closing after the SAX API
from Megginson. We include drivers for Xalan/J and XT. It provides a very
minimal, common-denominator implementation that provides a

* common StylesheetCompiler interface
* common Stylesheet interface
* common factory
* common "output object"-equivalent (parallel to InputSource)

What's not covered, but could be covered:

* setting parameters
* defining extensions

The latter might be a "fast track" way around the current extension
situation.
I have waited on announcing this because I wanted to see if (a) Sun was
going
to release the JAXP 1.1 with XSLT support anytime soon and (b) if I could
think of a good way to do extensions.

Instead, I'd rather open this up for discussion. Is this useful? Or does it
just confuse matters, what with JAXP 1.1 on the horizon and possible
standards
work from W3C? I'll post the implementation source and docs this weekend
for
people to take a look; unfortunately I can't do it tonight.

Amber Archer Consulting plans to release the SAX/T interfaces (in
org.xml.sax.transform) into the public domain, just like SAX. We'd prefer
not
to stay the maintainers of things like the Xalan and XT drivers (better
that
the implementors track it if SAX/T proves popular), but for discussion
purposes it helps to have at least two implementations of any proposed
common
API.

regards,
kd