RE: Special characters in comments

Subject: RE: Special characters in comments
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:49:49 +0100
> I have found that with Saxon it is not possible to use scandinavian
> characters as å and æ in a comment like <!--å-->.

It should work but it depends on your encoding. If you use an iso-8859-1
editor to create the stylesheet you must specify encoding="iso-8859-1" in
the XML declaration.

> With MSXML3 it works. Is it something Microsoft has added?

I have a feeling Microsoft's XML parser auto-detects iso-8859-1 encoding. I
suspect this contravenes the XML specification, though it is a very handy
feature.

> 2)
> I have also noticed that I cannot use:
> <xsl:value-of/>
> with Saxon but I need to use
> <xsl:value-of select = "."/>

The select attribute is mandatory according to the XSLT 1.0 specification.

Mike Kay