Re: Out of Memory with XT on Solaris

Subject: Re: Out of Memory with XT on Solaris
From: John Robert Gardner <jrgardn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 20:49:01 -0400 (EDT)
Well, I thought someone might find it interesting-- we shut down Oracle,
and I ran the XT command mentioned below with -ms80 and -mx250.  That
still didn't get the job done, however, my Toshiba Satellite 2180 with
190+ RAM, with simple command-line xt.exe, did the business on the same 80
meg file that choked on the Enterprise (which was running a list serve and
a range of other things, just not Oracle), the little Windows 2000/NT did
in 5 hours (mind you, I did basically _nothing_ else with the Toshiba
during this time, but was able to open and close a few programs and
perform a few actions at an almost-tolerable processing rate for simple
things like MSWord or Netscape).

I just thought folks might be itnerested in a little informal performance
data.  The script was the one in the post Michael Fox assited with, which
performed a match and variable based actions with substring-before on
every 40th line or so of the 80megs of 1-dimensional data.

jr

John Robert Gardner, Ph.D.
XML Engineer
Emory University
http://vedavid.org/diss/
"If there is something you're thinking of doing, or wish you could do,
begin it.  In boldness there is mystery and power . . . . "  -Goethe