Re: Possible transformiix bug with defaulted attributes.

Subject: Re: Possible transformiix bug with defaulted attributes.
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 14:59:44 +0100 (BST)
> Transformiix appears to accept the use of defauls in my schema when
> validating XML,

hmm, you sure?

Your XML file is this:

==8<=== XML FILE: http://www.agilic.com/testschemas/DefaultTest.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<RootObject
xmlns="x-schema:http://www.agilic.com/testschemas/DefaultTestSchema.xml";>
	<SubObject name="first"/>
	<SubObject name="second" someAttribute="1"/>
</RootObject>

and as you comment the namespace URI is arbitrary, just a name for the
namespace, so what, other than a convention of a particular parser to
try looking at that place for a microsoft format schema, would give
any XML parser an indication of any attribute defaulting?

> My understanding is that the URN is merely used to partition the name spaces
> and it is identity or otherwise of these URN's that can affect processing,
> not their actual form.

Quite, so there is no association of that XML file with any other file.
The fact that it is in the namespace
x-schema:http://www.agilic.com/testschemas/DefaultTestSchema.xml
affects the XSL only in so far as elements from an identically named
namespace should be used in the template matches. Whether or not there
is any file at that URL is of no concern to an XSL processor.

Even if you do explictly tie your XML file to your schema by some
protocol or other, you can't

> do I have to produce a
> sample without the dreaded word "microsoft" in it!

do this as the format of your schema file is a Microsoft standard
so there is no reason that anything else will recognise it as a schema
even if it found the file (which it won't if it is only referenced in a
namespace URI)

David