Re: feature request

Subject: Re: feature request
From: "Rick Geimer" <Rick.Geimer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 14:46:36 -0700
Actually, National primarily uses entities in the internal subset to
manage graphics (i.e. unparsed external entites). The entities are then
referenced in entity attributes. For instance:

<!DOCTYPE foo [
<!ENTITY test SYSTEM "test.tif" NDATA tiff>
]>
<foo>
<image ref="test"/>
</foo>

Basically, this is a holdover from our SGML applications, and has been
carried over into our XML systems for compatibility. Unfortunately, we
don't have the option of chucking our entire system to accomodate XSLT,
and personally I don't think we should have to. Entites in the internal
subset are a feature of XML 1.0, and in my opinion, should be supported
by XSLT. Until that happens, I don't plan to use XSLT for anything other
than HTML creation, since it simply doesn't fit into our publishing
model as a general XML to XML transformation tool.

Rick Geimer
National Semiconductor
rick.geimer@xxxxxxx