Re: XSLT & XBase ( Dans Special theory of Relativity (C) )

Subject: Re: XSLT & XBase ( Dans Special theory of Relativity (C) )
From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:16:57 +0200
Dan Morrison wrote:

> Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> >
> > [1] : http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-uri/
>
> Cripes, they're frothing at the mouth over there!

Yes !
But they don't seem to realize that what is discussing might impact XSLT
(and the XSL community doesn't seem to see it either :( )...

> Without needing to imagine, I've dealt with this issue several times
> already just getting html hrefs and stuff to work. Haven't worried about
> relative namespaces yet...

We can still hope they won't arrive.

> To illustrate my complicated arrangement (because it is messy)...

Or maybe rather because the problem is not that simple...

> <LONG_CASE_STUDY>
> [...]
> </LONG_CASE_STUDY>
>
> Phew.
>
> Well Eric, your well-researched posting deserved a bit of effort in
> response.

Thanks !

> Anyone got any response to my horrid approach outlined above? Or should
> I patent it yesterday? (I can you know, I'm in New Zealand!)

I have used the same kind of tricks ("home made" base mechanism) on my
sites with other XSLT (Java and XT) tools and I think it's powerful,
flexible (can also handled several different languages maintaining
relative links) and quite natural.

It's probably the best solution with XSLT today...

I have also seen examples doing this through external parsed entities.

I won't advise doing so with XSLT though as external parsed entities are
not preserved by XSLT.

Thanks

Eric