XML, XSLT and Databases (RE: 'XML design of Database' is out of scope)

Subject: XML, XSLT and Databases (RE: 'XML design of Database' is out of scope)
From: paulo.gaspar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:23:08 -0700
However, it brought to my mind an issue I have been
thinking about:
  Fast way to select nodes/apply transformations to a
  huge XML file

I could use such thing in my current project. And I could
express what I want with XSLT.

One way I can imagine an efficient way of using XSLT to
select and transform a few nodes from a gigabyte XML
document is indexing it - a database thing.

That is something I would like to see implemented.

However, one of the guys from the Oracle Intermedia team
I talked with today, wasn't even familiar with XPath.

To give some context:
 - I was these last 2 days at the "Oracle iDevelop 2000"
   in Amsterdam;
 - Intermedia is an Oracle product that indexes many media
   types, including XML;
 - They have a syntax to search for values inside tags, but
   it uses a "contains" syntax and has nothing to do with
   XPath or XSQL.

In Intermedia, document properties are stored in XML. That is
quite convenient and adds flexibility to the mechanism.
(It extracts and indexes the dimensions and colour depth
of a picture or the length and format of a video. Similar
stuff with PDF and MSWord documents.)

Even so, XPath seems to be far from the plans of this team.
Probably is known by the developers but somehow it doesn
come up to the search mechanism and to the know plans for
the tool.

I would like to use XSLT over big XML documents and this
could be built on top of database technology. And if I
could do that with the same database I am using for the
rest of the application, that would be much better.

I would realy like to se this issue raised.

Thanks, and have fun,

Paulo

P.S.:
I am not saying that one should directly use XPath to get the
nodes but yes that XPath could be used in a "WHERE"
clause of a SQL statement to help expressing the selection
of the documents containing nodes matching a XPath
expression. That would be similar to the current syntax,
althought XPath is shorter, more powerful and familiar
to "XML developers".