RE: several questions on XML to HTML processing with XSL

Subject: RE: several questions on XML to HTML processing with XSL
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 14:35:37 +0100
> 1. I want to output <LAYER ID='something'><!-- some HTML goes here
> --></LAYER> when I find the browser is
> Netscape 4+ and <DIV ID='something'><!-- some HTML goes here
> --></DIV> when
> the browser is Internet Explorer 4+.

Define a global parameter, which you can set when the stylesheet is run:
<xsl:param name="browser"/>

e.g. you can set this from the command line as
saxon my.xml my.xsl browser=IE5

> <xsl:variable name="PageSection">DIV</xsl:variable>
> <xsl:if test="$browser='NC4'>
>    <saxon:assign name="PageSection">LAYER</saxon:assign>
> </xsl:if>

You don't need <saxon:assign> here. Define a global variable as follows:

<xsl:variable name="PageSection">
  <xsl:choose>
  <xsl:when test="$browser='NC4'">LAYER</xsl:when>
  <xsl:otherwise>DIV</xsl:otherwise>
  </xsl:choose>
</xsl:variable>

> <xsl:value-of select="<$PageSection ID='someID'>"/>
> 	<!-- some HTML goes here -->
> </xsl:value-of select="</$PageSection>"/>

What you want here is
<xsl:element name="{$PageSection}"><!-- html --></xsl:element>

Your suggested syntax is most imaginative but bears little relation to XSLT!

> 2. I want to allow (well-formed) HTML in my XML file which I
> want to output as is in my HTML file, how should I go about?

<xsl:copy-of> is useful to achieve this effect.

> 3. If I include an HTML tag as valid XML tag in my XML file,
> how do I output
> all attributes with their values?
> E.g. I include <TABLE> in my XML file and I want to add (valid HTML)
> attributes like width, height etc. which I
> want to include in my HTML output.
> What should be the appropriate XSL code?

<xsl:copy-of select="."> copies the current element, its attributes, and its
children, recursively.

Mike Kay