what if use of up-to-date xslt processor not an option?

Subject: what if use of up-to-date xslt processor not an option?
From: "alex chang" <shortestpath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:27:38 EDT
Mike, thanks for replying to my last post.

Let me start this one off by saying that I am confused between
xml parsers and xslt processors. Which one is MSXML?

I am using an application that I believe uses either the same or something similar to the MSXML that ships with IE5. This application contains sample xsl, all of which start with:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";>

When I use this, I can create html tables. However, I can't use
something like:
 <TD>
   <xsl:choose>
     <xsl:when test=". = 'Transaction_Type'">
       Transaction Type
     </xsl:when>
     <xsl:otherwise>
       <xsl:value-of />
     </xsl:otherwise>
   </xsl:choose>
 </TD>

I get: Expected token 'eof' found '='. . -->=<-- 'Transaction_Type'

Now, if I change
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";>

... I find that my text Transaction_Type does change to
Transaction Type but I don't get my table. Instead I receive what I
think is called the literal result- basically the text of the elements.

I've been reading an XML Namespaces FAQ, and I thought I might be able to work around my problem by having in my xsl:

<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl";
xmlns:trans="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";>

Then I rewrote my choose condition like this:
 <TD>
   <trans:choose>
     <trans:when test=". = 'Transaction_Type'">
       Transaction Type
     </trans:when>
     <trans:otherwise>
       <xsl:value-of />
     </trans:otherwise>
   </trans:choose>
 </TD>

But now my table cells contain both the text Transaction Type
(notice without the underscore, which is what I want) AND the text
that results from <xsl:value-of />.

I hope I have been clear in trying to explain my problem. Can someone give any suggestions on how I can get my tables AND change my text?

Thanks,
-alex