Re: xml entities

Subject: Re: xml entities
From: Daniel Hinz <daniel.hinz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 18:58:35 +0200
Mike Brown wrote:

> > I am wondering if someone can tell me how to do something like:
> > <!DOCTYPE apage[
> >     <!ENTITY logoid "0001">
> >     <!ENTITY logo SYSTEM "sections/logo/l_xx_&logoid;.xml">
> > ]>
> >
> > where the first entity defines a "variable" for the next entity.
>
> XML 1.0 provides "parameter" entities for this purpose.
>
> <!ENTITY % logoid "0001">
> <!ENTITY logo SYSTEM "sections/logo/l_xx_%logoid;.xml">

I'm afraid that's not true.

As stated earlier, the System Literal is a URI, which may be escaped by
an XML processor.

The spec states explicitly:

"Note that a SystemLiteral can be parsed without scanning for markup."

See

http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#NT-ExternalID

and

http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-xml-19980210#sec-common-syn

Therefor you cannot use a parameter entity in a System Literal.

Regards,

Daniel Hinz

--
Daniel Hinz - XML Evangelist and Software Developer
Higher-Order AG