RE: counter

Subject: RE: counter
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:36:37 +0100
>Is there some way of using a counter in XSL?  I have a list of items, and
>I'd like some extra text to be printed after every 50th item.

>The only things which I've found which look to do this are xsl:counter and
>xsl:counter-reset, but these always seem to be unrecognised by whatever
>XML/XSL parser I use.

You're reading a very old version of the spec. XSLT 1.0 has no updateable
variables of any kind.

You have a grouping problem: see the FAQ under sorting and grouping. The way
to print something every fifty <item> elements is:

<xsl:template match="item[position() mod 50 = 1]">
<fifty-items>
Here's the next 50:
<xsl:for-each select=". | following-sibling::item[position() &lt; 50]">
  <item><xsl:value-of select="."/></item>
</xsl:for-each>
</fifty-items>