Re: xsl self-documentation on the fly /feature request

Subject: Re: xsl self-documentation on the fly /feature request
From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:29:36 +0200
Paul,

Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:

> > 4) Alternatively, the logging could be done outside the XSLT
> > transformation (4xt, in the Driver or XSLServlet classes but before or
> > after the transformation itself) or even in a shell script calling the
> > transformation (requiring 0% modification :=) ...
>
> In Ux it is:
>
> document(" /! generate_xml.xsl >> log.xml");

Looks nice !

> One more twist is that I had to find some way to workaround
> that useless single-root limitation ( which our belowed XML
> has for no reason at all, as we all know ).
>
> I had a choice beween making  log.xml non-XML or
> to do something ugly that will allow log.xml to be
> XML.
>
> So here comes yet another ugly trick - when Ux realizes that
> there is 'append' operation ( >> ), it:
>
> a. seeks to  the tail of the file.
> b. seeks back to </some>
> c. inserts the output
> d. writes </some>

The performance should be highly affected by this backward search.

> This means >> will append 'right before the end of root element'.
>  ( <some/> degenerate makes it even more weired).
>
> This works for me.  Another solution I was thinking about
> was to have log.xml not-XML and turn it into XML with
> some ux-bean which will only add startElement() and
> endElement() to the stream of SAX events - but finaly I decide
> that messing with non-XML and XML files  is not that clean.

The document is not well formed XML, but can still be easily used as an
external parsed entity in a well formed XML document, whites makes it
still useable by XML tools...

It's probably worth allowing this at least as an option.

Eric