Re: General, possibly F.A'd, Question

Subject: Re: General, possibly F.A'd, Question
From: Francis Norton <francis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:23:59 +0100

Lee Goddard wrote:

> I've developed an XML DTD and have been asked to develop a
> stylesheet that will display the document in several ways,
> including as PROLOG source.  This will involve displaying
> element attributes, and never element contents (that was
> my brief....).  Is this possible?

Does "the document" here refer to the DTD or to the conforming XML
document? And PROLOG - as in the language (interesting...) or as in the
XML prolog?

In general XSLT can't read DTDs since they don't use normal XML syntax.
However, get yourself a tool (such as XML Spy, I hear) that converts
your DTD into XML Schemas - which *do* use XML syntax - and you're
cooking with gas. Showing attributes but not elements is perfectly
possible in XSLT, for a start.

OTOH, if you are talking about working from the raw DTD you might be
better off with Perl, IMHO.

Francis.
--
Francis Norton.