How to select text only for element with mixed content?

Subject: How to select text only for element with mixed content?
From: "X Line" <xline1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 19:23:14 GMT
I was wondering if there are any kind folks who might
wish to help a newbie with this problem. I have
an element whose content model is comprised of
child elements as well as cdata. The child
elements in turn contain cdata (and possibly
children of their own).

Eg:

<Tag1>
  <Tag2>
     <Tag2.1>Text for Tag2.1</Tag2.1>
     This is text for Tag2
  </Tag2>

<Tag3>This is text for Tag3</Tag3>

  This is text for Tag1
</Tag1>

Assuming I have a template for Tag1 in an XSL
stylysheet, and I am currently processing that
template, I wish to extract only the text for
Tag1 (and not the pcdata for the children).
i.e.: "This is text for Tag1

If I use <xsl:value-of>, I get all of the
text (pcdata) for all the children.

Is there a way of getting only the text for
the current tag without having to write a
seperate template?

Thank you in advance.