Re: asp assistance please

Subject: Re: asp assistance please
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:32:10 -0600 (MDT)
Joshua Allen wrote:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/voices/xml06192000.asp has examples
> of passing parameters from ASP into XSLT.  Sorry it doesn't
> use saxon or xt, though.  Personally I think that ASP/MSXML is
> so much easier to use why would you bother with Saxon, but
> I'm willing to admit it's a personal preference.

Perceived ease of use is only one factor that goes into the decision of
what products to use. ASP simply isn't an option for some because they
have made investments in other technologies.

Microsoft would do well to acknowledge MSXML's place in the world of XSLT
processors. Put on your web site what the advantages and features of MSXML
are, as compared to other processors. It does have some nice features that
set it apart from other processors, and these features will (and do)
appeal to a lot of developers.

Your comments imply that you have evaluated Saxon and XT to some degree,
yet no effort is made to make the average MSXML user aware that these
other tools exist, how MSXML compares, what features can only be found in
MSXML, and that XSLT is as widely implemented and utilized as it is.

In light of this situation, it doesn't seem unreasonable that people, even
Mike Kay (who isn't at all sarcastic about MSXML in his book), would be
loathe to help innocently ignorant newbies asking how they can get their
code to work with an incomplete, frivolously-extended implementation of a
long-obsolete spec. His sarcasm has merit. Yours is just sour grapes.

   - Mike