looping through tags in XSL

Subject: looping through tags in XSL
From: "Foster, Justin (IT_Architecture)" <JFoster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 09:07:29 -0700
Hi All.

I have the following problem:

I am trying to generate HTML from XML.  The XML file I am using is acting as
a data repository, where elements follow the same nested structure:

<TECHNOLOGIES>
    <TECHNOLOGY>
      <NAME>Name1</NAME>
      <ASSOCIATE>John Doe</ASSOCIATE>
      <CLASSID>Development</CLASSID>
      <GROUPID>IT Architechure</GROUPID>
      <CATEGORYID>aware</CATEGORYID>
      <GRIDX>200</GRIDX>
      <GRIDY>-75</GRIDY>
      <DESCRIPTION>This is the description of the first name</DESCRIPTION>
    </TECHNOLOGY>
    <TECHNOLOGY>
      <NAME>Name2</NAME>
      <ASSOCIATE>Jane Doe</ASSOCIATE>
      <CLASSID>Business</CLASSID>
      <GROUPID>Database Management</GROUPID>
      <CATEGORYID>aware</CATEGORYID>
      <GRIDX>-23</GRIDX>
      <GRIDY>213</GRIDY>
      <DESCRIPTION>This is the description of the second name</DESCRIPTION>
    </TECHNOLOGY>
</TECHNOLOGIES>

and so on and so forth.

The problem I am having is I want to generate an XSL that will output to
HTML a user-specified amount of these <TECHNOLOGY> nodes with all of its
child nodes in HTML.  I don't know how to specify in XSL how to not just
output to HTML ONE of these nodes; I need to make the output seem
'intelligent' by allowing the user to specify if they want to display one or
many of these different <TECHNOLOGY> nodes with all of its child nodes in
one HTML page.

Of course, to the user all they will see is an HTML page with the specific
information they requested.  I need to make something that will
automatically pull all of the:

<TECHNOLOGY>
	<NAME>First Name</NAME>
</TECHNOLOGY>
<TECHNOLOGY>
	<NAME>Second Name</NAME>
</TECHNOLOGY>

along with all of the other elements...

appear in the drop-down values of a form, or preferably, in a list where the
user can CTRL-click however many they want to display and then click OK.

Everything will be used in the same stylesheet, if at all possible.
Otherwise, is there a way to generate a stylesheet 'on the fly' to have
everything formatted correctly?

Also, all of the different child nodes will appear in a different part of a
table on the HTML page.  Do I have to use a different <xsl:template
match="node goes here"> every time I add a new XML element to the HTML page?

Forgive my newness--I barely knew what XML stood for a week ago and am
taking tutorials as fast as I can.  Any help you could provide is much
appreciated!!!

Justin Foster
IT Architecture
253-596-3260 office