RE: XSL Stylesheet warning message

Subject: RE: XSL Stylesheet warning message
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:48:33 +0100
> <xsl:template match="text()|@*">
> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template match="* | text() | @*">
>         <xsl:copy>
> 		    <xsl:apply-templates select="@*"/>
> 		    <xsl:apply-templates/>
>         </xsl:copy>
> </xsl:template>

> "XSL Warning:Specificity conflicts found:
> "* | text() | @*", text()|@*" Last found in stylesheet
> will be used.

The XSLT spec says that it's an error to have two template rules with the
same priority and precedence and mode that match the same node; and that the
processor has the option of reporting this error or recovering from it using
the last one found in the stylesheet.

Xalan, I believe, does both: it reports the problem as a warning and then
takes the recovery action. This seems a sensible strategy and in my view
it's within the conformance rules, even though it doesn't seem to be quite
what the writers of the spec had in mind.

Mike Kay