Problem resolving base URI in document fuction

Subject: Problem resolving base URI in document fuction
From: "Edwards, Jayme" <JCEdwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:41:12 -0400
>>NOTE: I posted this previously to the respective Apache lists, trying here to see if anyone has expertise with this section of the specification or has run into a similar problem.<<

Hello,

I'm using Cocoon 1.7.4, Tomcat 3.2 beta, Xerces 1.0.3,
and Xalan 1.1. I have a project that uses XML documents
of a specific grammar to pass filenames to a stylesheet
which then loads them with the "document()" function
relative to the source document. I'm having a problem
where Xalan's implementation of document() either isn't
working properly, or I'm not understanding the XSLT
specification fully.

For example lets say I have a file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="view/mydoc.xsl"?>
<mydoc filename="mydoc"/>

and it is located in /mydoc.xml (path on tomcat context)
for which the REAL directory is:

D:\somedir\webapps\docroot\mydoc.xml

and I have a file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<myresources>
  <myresource id="test">Testing, 1, 2, 3</myresource>
</myresources>

and it is located in /resources/mydoc_en.xml (path on
tomcat context) for which the REAL directory is:

D:\somedir\webapps\docroot\resources\mydoc_en.xml

and I have a stylesheet:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; version="1.0">
  <xsl:variable name="myotherdoc" select="document(concat('resources/', /mydoc/@filename, '_en.xml'), /mydoc)/myresources"/>
</xsl:stylesheet>

and it is located in /view/mydoc.xsl (path on tomcat context) for which the REAL directory is:

D:\somedir\webapps\docroot\view\mydoc.xsl

As per the XSL specification, the document() function can
take one, or two parameters. If it only takes one this can
be an existing nodeset to be treated as a document with its
own root or a string that specifies a filename of an XML
document to load. The spec also says if the second parameter
is ommitted the base URI that will be used to resolve the
filename (if relative) is determined from the document that
contains the call to the document() function. This is not
the case, in that I want to load the "resource" file for
a document in a directory relative to my original mydoc.xml
file. Luckily, the spec also states that if you pass a nodeset
as the second parameter to document(), the document from
which this nodeset was retrieved (the first node in document
order) will be used to resolve the base URI. If you look at
the xsl:stylesheet, I do this by passing a second parameter
to document with nodes from the original source document
being transformed. The problem is, I can tell it DOES use
the second parameter to form the base URI, but the base URI
comes out relative to the web URI and not the URI on the
filesystem. In the example above, Xalan tries to load the
following document:

D:\somedir\resources\mydoc_en.xml

Which of course doesn't exist. It looks as though the
base URI was determined as being different, but went
up too many levels.

Any help with this problem would be great. Its pretty
critical to provide fully extensibly data-to-style based
web solutions with XSL.

Thanks,
Jayme