Capturing element nodes which look like variables!?

Subject: Capturing element nodes which look like variables!?
From: "Medina, Edward" <emedina@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 16:08:09 -0400
:Hello!
:
:Been away for a while.  My question is somewhat relating to
:XML (can't really get away from it too much if I want
:people to understand what I'm saying), but the focus is on XSL.
:
:I know how to do the template match, and all that neat stuff
:with normal XML (ie <tag></tag>).  But now after being
:away from DTDs, XML, and XSL for 2 1/2 months I have to write
:a style sheet for an xml document,  and I'm at a loss
:on how to match these tags.  (Please bear in mind I did not
:write the XML)
:
:The XML is written in the following way!
:
:<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
:  <dppo:document>
:    <dppo:titleDef>
:    Fiji:  Crisis Over...or is it?
:    </dppo:titleDef>
:      <dppo:packetDef>
:        <dppo:titleDef>
:        Summary
:        </dppo:titleDef>
:        <dppo:paraDef>
:          <dppo:textDef>
:	Hostages held in Parliament since 19 May 2000 were
:released xxx.
:	Ratu Josefa Iloilo will be sworn in as Fiji`s new
:president on Tuesday, 18 July.
:	Fiji`s two-month political coup is over, but the
:hostage crisis is a huge disaster for Fiji.
:	The fabric of multi-culturalism and harmonious race
:relations has been severely strained.
:	The economy, which was beginning to show signs of
:recovery after years of stagnation, is hobbled.
:          </dppo:textDef>
:        </dppo:paraDef>
:      </dppo:packetDef>
:  </dppo:document>
:
:(Note: These are over simplified stylesheets, without any of
:the bells and whistles)
:
:I tired doing the following but XSLT looks at it as a variable
:so it wants me to declare it as a variable.
:
:<xsl:stylesheet
:	xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
:	version="1.0"
:	xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";
:	xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";
:    result-ns="fo">
:
:<xsl:template match="/">
: <HTML>
:     	<HEAD>
:		<TITLE>
:		</TITLE>
:	</HEAD>
: 	<BODY>
:		<xsl:apply-templates />
:	</BODY>
: </HTML>
:</xsl:template>
:
:<xsl:template match="dppo:document">
:		<xsl:apply-templates />
:</xsl:template>
:</xsl:stylesheet>
:
:
:When I do, the text does display however its not really being
:matched by anything except the variable declaration!
:So the text cannot really be manipulated by the stylesheet
:just displayed.
:
:<xsl:stylesheet
:	xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
:	version="1.0"
:	xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";
:	xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";
:    	result-ns="fo"
:	xmlns:dppo="file:/dev/null">
:
:<xsl:template match="/">
: <HTML>
:     	<HEAD>
:		<TITLE>
:		</TITLE>
:	</HEAD>
: 	<BODY>
:		<xsl:apply-templates />
:	</BODY>
: </HTML>
:</xsl:template>
:
:<xsl:template match="dppo:document">
:		<xsl:apply-templates />
:</xsl:template>
:</xsl:stylesheet>
:
:I thought of trying to capture the information as a variable would
:but I'm not quite sure how to do that.  I began to try the following
:and was not sure if it would work.
:
:
:<xsl:stylesheet
:	xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
:	version="1.0"
:	xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40";
:	xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";
:    	result-ns="fo"
:	xmlns:dppo="file:/dev/null">
:
:<!-- These are the variables used  -->
:<dppo:document	document="document">
:<dppo:packetDef 	packet="packet">
:<dppo:paraDef 		para="para">
:<dppo:titleDef		title="title">....
:
:If I could get a simple example on how to be able to match these
:XML tags I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance, and I hope
:that I'm out of the scope of this list.
:
:Thanks again!
:
:Eddy