problem using Xalan from within a servlet

Subject: problem using Xalan from within a servlet
From: andreg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 01:28:17 -0500
I have a servlet which is doing XSL transformations to create the
presentation view. Everything works just fine in IBM WebSphere. Now I
tried to get the same testcase running in Tomcat 3.1, but for some
reason it doesn't work. What happens is that I get the stylesheet itself
returned, instead of the transformed output document. I also get a
warning about a missing version attribute in the stylesheet, although
the stylesheet has a version attribute. I use Xalan 1.1, by the way. I
wonder what could make the XSL processor spit out the input stylesheet
and not process anything at all.
In the classpath of the web application, I have the xalan and xerces jar
files first and then the xml.jar which comes with Tomcat. Everything
runs and compiles fine, until I start processing stylesheets.

Has anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Andre Tost