Re: Special characters and XML-to-WML problem

Subject: Re: Special characters and XML-to-WML problem
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:40:18 -0600 (MDT)
Michael J. Hudson wrote:
> Well, the usual answer of "you should never need an unescaped ampersand"
> has never seem to work for me.  I've been told this before, but I don't
> see when this eventual conversion was suppose to happen

I'm saying it's not wrong to have &amp; in your HTML. In fact, it's more
correct to have it there than not. The HTML user agent is supposed to
treat &amp; as the ampersand character.

When clicked, this anchor:

should send the user to:
http://www.skew.org/printenv?foo=bar&baz=maz

*not* to:
http://www.skew.org/printenv?foo=bar&amp;baz=maz

I could write the anchor entirely as character references if I wanted:

Also, what I've read indicates that WML is in fact an XML-based language
and thus I do not see what you are gaining by using the HTML output
method.

   - Mike