Re: Embedding HTML Doc into XSL or XML

Subject: Re: Embedding HTML Doc into XSL or XML
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:18:19 -0600 (MDT)
Sunitha wrote:
> My problem is the HTML doc is actually a word Doc, which i would be
> converting to HTMl file on the fly, and moreover only the file name of the
> doc is available to me, which means at the time of coding i would not know
> the contents of the file.
>  Now, considering my requirements, would it be possible to go ahead with
> your suggestion or is there any alternative for it.

XML lets you reference nonparseable, non-well-formed XML external entities
("unparsed" entities) as being part of your XML document, but that's all
you can do is just have a reference to them, and there's not much support
for them in XSLT.

> I tried using Xlink-embed in the XML file(having got tired with trying out
> in XSL), but somehow i am unable to use that option properly.

My understanding of XLink is that it's just a way to create relationships
between XML documents, the way anchors (<a>) work in HTML. It is up to the
application, not the parser, to recognize them and do something with them.
(Someone correct me if I am wrong). As far as I know, XSLT processors do
not care about XLink elements that they encounter.

I don't think there's any way, if all you have is a URI to something that
you need to treat as if it were in a CDATA section, to embed that in an
XML document. I hesitate to make that kind of statement without checking
the specs thoroughly. I've never experimented with unparsed entities
before.

   - Mike