RE: Transforming to SVG in IE5

Subject: RE: Transforming to SVG in IE5
From: "Chris Bayes" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:29:52 +0100
Arie,

>Hello, all.
>I am researching the possibility of implementing my new application
>within IE/DHTML.  Ideally, what I would like to have is the to embed SVG
>data in the HTML itself and to have the IE to use the plugin (Adobe).
>The only way I can do it now is to do something like:
><object  width="600" height="300" type="image/svg-xml"
>data="file://c:test1.svg"/>

I can't get this to work. I can get the followong to work.
<EMBED SRC="http://www.adobe.com/svg/demos/svgfiles/dynamic_01.svg";
NAME="SVGEmbed" HEIGHT="450" WIDTH="600" TYPE="image/svg-xml"
PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/";>

Embed only supports a url for the SRC attribute.

>However, since I like the stylesheet to run within the browser, this is
>not exactly what I would like to do.  My preferred way would be:
>
><object  width="600" height="300" type="image/svg-xml"
>dataSrc="#myImage"/>

Here you are trying to do data binding and the plugin doesn't support data
binding.

> <XML ID="myImage">
><svg viewBox="0 0 600 300" width="800px" height="400px">
></svg>
></XML>
>
>where the above is the output of transformation.
>
>At the moment IE5.5 with msxml3 does not like it.  Is there anything
>wrong with
>what I do or it is not implemented yet?

You will have to ask Adobe.

>Mr Bayes or  Mr. Srinivasan? Or anybody who knows?
>
>Are there any workarounds?

Well no. The first thing I thought of was using <iframe...
Then sending the results of the transform to the iframe
var newdoc = document.frames("theIframe").document.open("image/svg-xml");
newdoc.write(result);
But Microsoft in their infinite wisdom/stupidity only allows "text/html" on
the open (have a similar problem with the change stylesheet power toy)
Iframe has a dataSrc attribute but setting it to "#myImage" does nothing
unsuprisingly.
I tried a few other things like
var newdoc = document.frames("theIframe").document.XMLDocument
but it doesn't have one it is using the plugin
Wether the SVGDocument has a write method I don't know but you can get it
with
var svgdoc = document.embeds[svg_name].getSVGDocument();

Ciao Chris

XML/XSL Portal
http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml