Re: saxon's: evaluate(string)

Subject: Re: saxon's: evaluate(string)
From: Oliver Becker <obecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:34:13 +0200 (MET DST)
Ben,

> Is anyone familiar with the workings of the saxon function evaluate?  I read
> the brief explination at
> http://users.iclway.co.uk/mhkay/saxon/extensions.html  is there a more
> detailed description that I can read anywhere?  I am trying to take run-time
> parameters and I know it is possible I just do not know how to do it.

Maybe you should be more detailed about your objective.
saxon:evaluate enables you to evaluate XPath expressions at run-time.
It takes a string and converts it to an expression.
This could be useful if your XPath comes from the XML input, e.g.
as an XPointer surrogate.
<xsl:value-of select="saxon:evaluate(link/@href)" />

If you just want to test parameters then you don't need this extension,
for example
<xsl:value-of select="node/child[@att=$parameter]" />

I'm not really sure if this short explanation is sufficient ...

Cheers,
Oliver

|  ob|do        Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker                             |
|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx             |
|  op|qo        WWW:    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker |