Re:

Subject: Re:
From: "Michael Beddow" <gll6mb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:30:07 +0100
On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 12:43:11 -0400 Steve Morrison wrote:

> Has anyone had experience in using Perl for XSLT? I've heard of various processors out there, > but, I was wondering how complete they were, or if any have been used in real world situations > with success?

Haven't spotted many Perl users here. A good starting point for you is
http://4expat.org/

The name gives away a major snag. All the stuff  we've looked at relies on at specific version of expat that's statically linked into Perl to parse the XML. But this clashes with the expat libraries (normally) also statically linked into Apache and/or PHP, not to mention mod_perl.  To cut a very long story short: if you have a working version of Apache that uses PHP, any of the existing Perl-based XSLT engines will cause Apache to segfault (I'm talking Linux. or Solaris here, dunno about Windows) You can build special versions of Apache and PHP, but it's a chore, and PHP loses its native ability to do XML parsing.

Maybe this stuff works OK for command-line/static transforms, but for real-time server-side it's still way behind Cocoon because it will not "drop in" to existing Apache configurations. The main developer of this stuff is trying to bang heads together re expat libraries, and if he succeeds the result will certainly be worth looking at

Michael Beddow
University of Leeds UK
]"Ë?Ëb?ú?Ö«r¯zm§ÿðÃ	®?·«¯+^r(?ül?ül?X¬