XSL transforms and SQL Sever XML Technology Preview

Subject: XSL transforms and SQL Sever XML Technology Preview
From: "Lee Barwick" <lee.barwick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:26:04 +0100
Hi everyone,

I've been some experiments with the XML Technology Preview for SQL Server.
 What I want to do is extract some data from SQL server and transform it
through 2 XSL stylesheets.  I use XML template files for storing my query
and then execute these from the URL.  The XML template file uses a
"serversideinclude" processing instruction to apply the first template file
and everything up to this point works fine, I can do an HTML transformation
and display results in any browser.

What I would like to do is transform the XML query result on the server
using a stylesheet which outputs further XML (as opposed to HTML).  I would
then like to be able to transform this XML (on the server) to either WML,
HTML or whatever using another XSL stylesheet...

1) SQL query =>
2) XML result =(XSL transform)=>
3) XML result =(XSL transform)=>
4) Result (eg. HTML)

The problem I have is with chaining the result of the first stylesheet into
a second and returning this to the client.  Does anyone know how to do
this?

If not, for the time being, is there a way of sucessfully generating a
client-side processing instruction (in the result of 3 above) which I could
send as XML to the client (IE5) and allow the client to do the HTML
transform.  I've tried this but seem to run into encoding problems: it
seems as though the result at step 3 (generated by the serversideinclude
instruction) is an unknown XML encoding, well to IE5 anyway although if
this is HTML it has no problems.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
Lee

Why not log on and see just how our new factory
is coming along.  Point your browser to
www.metromail-buildingsite.co.uk

The information contained in this e-mail and any
files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended for the addressee only.  If you have
received this e-mail in error please notify the
originator or telephone 0191 554 6262.

This e-mail and any attachments have been
scanned for viruses prior to leaving MetroMail
but MetroMail will not be liable for any losses as
a result of any viruses being passed on.

If this e-mail offends in any way please forward
it to sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MetroMail Ltd, Palmer Road, SW Ind Est, Peterlee
www.metromail.co.uk