Re: Updated Benchmark Available

Subject: Re: Updated Benchmark Available
From: Alexey Gokhberg <alexei@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 11:50:45 +0200
The benchmark results look interesting, but what do they really
demonstrate?

At my opinion, with the longest test running not more than 0.6 seconds,
these results compare the time which XSLT engines need to warm-up and to
cleanup, rather than the time they need to perform their main job.
Furthermore, the warm-up and the cleanup time depends on the run-time
system of the underlying platform (JVM, C++ RTL etc.), not on the
quality of the XSLT processor itself.

>From the practical point of view, the result of this benchmark could be
formulated as follows:

"... All XSLT processors (except those crashed) demonstrated a good
performance ..." (0.6 sec is a good response time - isn't it?)

I also could not understand why the issue whether the XSLT processor is
using the "pre-parsed" stylesheets is so important. Some processors do
it, some don't, but the efficiency of this feature in fact depends on
the processor architecture and on the way how this pre-parsing is
integrated with the other processor components.

Kind regards

Alexey Gokhberg
Developer of Unicorn XSLT Processor
http://www.unicorn-enterprises.com/uxsl_1_02_15.zip