Re: What's an "XML Fragment"?

Subject: Re: What's an "XML Fragment"?
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 10:34:21 -0400
At 08:31 AM 10/09/2000 -0400, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
At 4:43 PM -0400 10/8/00, John E. Simpson wrote:
I have no inside information, obviously, but I just read that as a reference to XML fragments as defined by the apparently moribund XML Fragment Interchange WD (last updated 6/30/99). Although nothing seems to be happening with that WD, it was still fairly current as of the time the XSLT WD went to Recommendation.

See:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xml-fragment#terminology

That sounds possible. The big issue with that interpretation is that the XML Fragment Interchange WD is not listed as a normative or non-normative reference by the XSLT spec.

Yeah, I know. (Presumably, since the Fragment Interchange never went to Rec, it would have to be non-normative.) After I posted that message last night, I went back to look at the earlier XSLT drafts; Fragment Interchange wasn't referenced from them, either. The only connection I can establish between the two is that Paul Grosso of Arbortext was on both WGs; you might try e-mailing him to ask if the connection is coincidental, or intentional but undocumented.