Re: Updated Benchmark Available

Subject: Re: Updated Benchmark Available
From: Alexey Gokhberg <alexei@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 20:46:51 +0200
Paul Tchistopolskii wrote:

> ... But I'm also sure that some of those iplementations will not
> be 100% conformant to XSLT WD.  By the way  what is SQL ? ;-)
> I think "100% portable SQL queries" have not too much sense in
> current world.

I agree about SQL (and most of other popular technologies are not much
better).

Non-conformant imlementations might flourish, since conformance is not
the only selling point. I beleive, however, that conformance itself is
not a fatal barrier and that efficient optimization methods can be
employed in 100% conforming processors.

> ... there is
> not a big number of developers who get functional programming. Some
> people are saying: "this is issue of education". I doubt ( in fact it
> *is* issue of education, but not the issue of 'programming education' )
> I mean making functional language to be a 'first language' has no serious
> impact. 7+ years ago I have been involved in some experiments when
> one class of students (children) got  Pascal as a first language
> when the second class got Logo ( I was used to write part of MIT-logo
> interpreter ). I came to the conclusion that ability to use concepts of
> functional programming has nothing to do with the 'programming educaion'.

Hmm ... I think, I'm not convinced. A good teacher will have success
teaching any technologies. But good teachers are rare, and in our
pragmatic age people are seldom willing to get the "classical"
programming education - instead they want to learn popular technologies
that can be used "out of the box".

But this is a separate topic which probably should be discussed
elsewhere ...

> I think masses will use not more than  3-4 constructions of XSLT. But that's
> not too bad actually.

Difficult to say ... So far masses beleive that XSL is a technology
implemented by MSXML 2 and XSLT is more advanced technology implemented
by MSXML 3; many of them are now considering migration from XSL to XSLT

> XSLT will not die ;-) Well ... not really. I consider XSLT to be a first
> prototype implementation of some important concepts. Syntax is weird,
> many useless hacks are in the core e t.c. e t.c. But that's not a big deal.
> ... XSLT contains some brilliant inventions - those inventions will not
> die.

Concepts/inventions will certainly not die.

Let us consider Java - so far, one of the most successfull programming
languages. Interesting enough, in 1967 there was invented another
programming language - Simula 67 (I am sure, you know about it). The
semantics of constructions implemented by these two languages is almost
identical !!! Just translate Algol-like syntax of Simula to C++-like
syntax of Java, forget that Simula implements co-routines and that Java
is Web-oriented - and you will see no difference.

Who now knows about Simula 67? Java is known by everyone.

> ... Since in the 60-s(?)  in the US they invented that it is more profitable
> to invest  $1 into advertizing of beer rather than invest that $1 into
> quality of beer - thats the way marketing goes. Of course this also explains
> why there is no good beer in the US.

Could be even worse. In Switzerland, for instance, there is neither good
local beer nor good beer marketing.

> I think those who care about the quality
> of beer should just ignore those who are concerned about marketing.

Fortunately, in the world there are companies concerned about both
quality and marketing. Thanks to them, it is still possible to get good
beer in Switzerland.

> Of course, as I wrote in my prediction, this is not a good thing when
> those who care about some XML parts are working 'against' W3C
> ( like it was not a good thing that Linux started working against
> FreeBSD project ). It will be of course better if, for example,
> you and some other people who care about usability of
> XML-related things will be on WG, or something.

But who does really "work against W3C"? Many people just try to
implement and promote their own ideas and/or provide their customers
with the best possible solutions. They cannot wait until W3C will
provide all necessary technologies. And who said that all XML-related
developments must be blessed by W3C? That anyone who likes to contribute
must participate in WG? It should not be a crime to think differently
than W3C thinks.

> But  maybe it was *good* we got FreeBSD / Linux.
> Maybe it will be *good* if we get "W3C alternative".

Too early, at my opinion ...

Kind regards,

Alexey

P.S. I am out of the office this week. Please, excuse me for possibly
delayed replies.