Re: Table question/was Re: Whitespace questions

Subject: Re: Table question/was Re: Whitespace questions
From: "Nikolai Grigoriev" <grig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 02:05:40 +0400
Rebecca,

> I am using xalan 1.1.6, xerces 1.1.3 and apache's fop_14 (from
> www.apache.org/fop)
>
> Now, I'm trying to get borders on my table cells. It appears that they
> haven't implemented the empty-cells attribute. I tried using border-top,
> border-bottom on <table-row> but it doesn't seem to work either. Any ideas?

These are FOP-specific questions. I am not knowledgeable about FOP, sorry ;-).
You may try to ask your questions in the FOP developer's list (see
http://xml.apache.org/mail). However, shooting at random, I suggest to specify
borders on individual cells, rather than on rows. Borders aren't inherited in
XSL FO, and rows generate no areas; therefore,  borders on rows make no sense.
Note also that a border specified on fo:table is recognized as the border around
the table as a whole: it does not affect single cells.

FOP is known to ignore incorrect output silently: if an expression produces no
warnings in FOP, it does not necessarily mean that it makes sense from FOP's
point of view ;-).

Cheers,
Nikolai