Sep MSXML: Carriage Return, #XD, Does Not Work

Subject: Sep MSXML: Carriage Return, #XD, Does Not Work
From: Jonathan_Wheelhouse@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:56:22 -0400 (EST)

Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx> wrote

<The explanation is probably in here:
<
<    http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#strip
<    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#AVNormalize
<    http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#creating-attributes [NOTE at end]
<
<It depends on what exactly you are doing. Provide a code sample.

Thanks for the reply.

I did check out the 3rd reference (the NOTE in particular).  ie. "NOTE: When an
xsl:attribute contains a text node with a newline, then the XML output must
contain a character reference. "  However, we have a text node with a character
reference.  So, what should happen here - the character reference should not be
normalized?

The problem is that Saxon (SAXON 5.4.1 from Michael Kay of ICL) does what we
want; the July release of MSXML did, too but the September MSXML release
doesn't.  We use IE version 5.00.2919.6307CO (that's from the About).

In other words, via Saxon and July MSXML you can produce HTML that shows a 2
column tooltip when the cursur hovers over the name.  However, via Sep MSXML,
the tool tip is not in 2 columns; it has #xA in place of a newline.  This looks
ugly and is the reason we reverted to the July release.

Here are the code samples:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="contact.xsl"?>
<contact_details_get_response>
     <contact>
          <prefix>Mr</prefix>
          <first_name>Trevor</first_name>
          <last_name>Zeltner</last_name>
          <company_name>ACIRT</company_name>
          <work_phone_no>02 62571599</work_phone_no>
          <fax_no>02 6249 1247</fax_no>
          <position>Chairman</position>
     </contact>
</contact_details_get_response>

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:template match="*|/">
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="text()|@*">
     <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="/">
bgcolor="khaki">
          <tbody>
          <xsl:for-each select="contact_details_get_response/contact">
          <xsl:attribute name="title">
               <xsl:text>Company:&#x9;</xsl:text><xsl:value-of
select="company_name"/><xsl:text>&#xD;</xsl:text>
               <xsl:text>Position:&#x9;</xsl:text><xsl:value-of
select="position"/><xsl:text>&#xD;</xsl:text>
               <xsl:text>Fax:&#x9;&#x9;</xsl:text><xsl:value-of
select="fax_no"/><xsl:text>&#xD;</xsl:text>
          </xsl:attribute>
          <xsl:attribute name="prefix"><xsl:value-of select="prefix"
/></xsl:attribute>
          <xsl:attribute name="fname"><xsl:value-of select="first_name"
/></xsl:attribute>
          <xsl:attribute name="lname"><xsl:value-of select="last_name"
/></xsl:attribute>
                    <xsl:value-of select="prefix"/>&#x20;
                    <xsl:value-of select="first_name"/>&#x20;
                    <xsl:value-of select="last_name"/>
select="work_phone_no"/></td>
          </xsl:for-each>
          </tbody>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Jonathan
ps.  I'm subscribed to the digest so my response is quite slow but I've just
subscribed to the list as well so I should be able to respond more quickly.

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain information that
is confidential and is subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended
recipient, do not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or
attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with
authority, states them to be the views of AMP/GIO. Before opening any
attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.